We are seeking qualified applicants who embody the words of the Jesuit leader Father Pedro Arrupe:
“Join us if you possess broad shoulders, a free spirit, an open and prudent mind, and a heart bigger than the world. Join us if you have a sense of humor and you know how to share a joke…and if, on certain occasions, you are also able to laugh at yourself.”
To begin the application, apply online through the Office of Graduate Admission. All items besides the video will be submitted via the graduate admission portal. The priority deadline is January 25; applications are rolling after that date.
- 1. Graduate School Application: Be sure to choose the "Masters of Arts in Teaching (Billiken Teacher Corps)” option from the drop down menu when you are given the program options. There is fee.
- 2. Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions: Please have your institution send directly to SLU electronically.
- 3. Resume: Please upload a 1 page professional resume.
- 4. Introductory Video: Upload a 90 second video to YouTube to tell who you are and what inspired you to apply. The more creative, the better! Email the link to email@example.com.
- 5. Letters of Recommendation: Four recommenders are required. Please submit their information on the graduate admissions application. One submission should come from each of the following:
- i. Professor
- ii. Supervisor
- iii. Spiritual Mentor (Chaplain, campus minister, priest, rector, or spiritual director)
- iv. Friend or roommate
- 6. Essays: Please upload a response to the following prompts. Answer them as separate essays but combine them into one document. Each essay should not exceed 350 words. Please use concrete examples from your life to support your responses.
- How does being a Catholic school teacher in the Billiken Teacher Corps fit into your life story? What is your "why" that drives you to become a teacher of a particular content area and to become a teacher of students of a particular grade range?
- Describe your beliefs about the key factors that affect students' success as learners and your beliefs about the key characteristics of effective teachers. What are the major influences on those beliefs?
- Explain what is behind your desire to live in an intentional faith community. What excites you about community and what do you foresee your limitations to be?
- Name and explain how one person or experience has shaped your spiritual life and practices.
- At the end of your document, please indicate your preferences for your teaching placement.
- Please indicate whether you would prefer to teach Elementary, Middle School, High School, or no preference.
- If interested in Elementary Education, please indicate whether you would like to teach Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, Foreign Language, Music, Art, Physical Education or no preference.
- If interested in Middle School or High School, please indicate whether you would like to teach English, Math, Social Studies, Science, Foreign Language, Music, Art, Physical Education, Business/Technology, Theology or no preference.
- Please indicate whether you will be a certified teacher upon entering the program or will seek certification.
- Please indicate if you are applying to other programs in the University Consortium for Catholic Education (UCCE) and what those programs are.